Friday, February 19, 2010

home made enchilada sauce

Well, the other night was an experiment  in home made enchilada sauce.  I wanted something smooth, silky and spicy, and intensly flavorful.  To that end, I took a couple of pounds of fresh Campari tomatoes, and tossed them in  a broiler pan along with a large quartered white onion, and a couple of serranno chilis, and slid the whole mess under a hot broiler, turning them occasionally, as they began to blacken.  Once they were charred, I pulled the skins off of everything, chopped things up roughly, and tossed everything in a skillet with a little neutral oil and a couple of shredded up dry ancho chilis.

And cooked, and cooked, and cooooked, and cooked some more, until the tomatoes were reduced to the consistency of tomato paste.  Ran that whole mess through the small disk of a food mill, and returned it to the pan with a couple of cups of home made chicken broth, and started reducing again.  As that reduced, I added about a tablespoon of Wondra flour, to give the sauce a bit of body, and continued to reduce until I had the consistency of a fairly light gravy, capable of coating a spoon (or a tortilla).  Adjusted my seasonings, and voila!  A rich, smoky, spicy, smooth enchilada sauce.

Don't ask me if it is authentic.  I have no idea, and since I just threw it together, I have my doubts.  But I suspect marvelous Mexican abuelitas have been tossing together their sauces for centuries, so that is the tradition I am going for.

3 comments:

  1. CC, Congratulation, On your blog, I think your off to a great start. I find the first entry funny, has a way of bringing you into the story. You keep this up, you'll do very well with this. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CC,
    Mikie is right .....You are off to a great start! Are you going to share some of your popular dishes that you do in your catering work? Or are they Top Secret?

    I hope you will post your terrific cocktails.
    Love, Dub

    ReplyDelete
  3. no top secret recipes in my arsenal, Dub. I share with any and all. I tend to tailor menus to client tastes (I do small parties, not the big stuff) and I will share as I go.

    ReplyDelete