Tuesday, April 13, 2010

short rib sandwich

I was in the grocery store this morning, and they had some very nice looking short ribs.  Other than using them as a hamburger ingredient, I haven't done much with short ribs, so I flashed back on the February cover recipe from Bon Appetite -- a grilled short rib sandwich.  These were particularly meaty short ribs, and I thought they might be up to the task.


short ribs, salted and peppered, with a few aromatics

So I browned them, along with a few veggies, garlic, salt, and pepper, then braised them in the oven with red wine, beef stock, and marsala.
the browning, before the braising liquid

Once they had braised in the oven for a couple of hours, I shredded the meat, defatted the broth, and then reduced the broth with the shredded meat to make a glaze.  The sandwich recipe called for some red onions glazed in sugar and red wine vinegar.  When you are slicing onions, it is almost always best to slice them "pole-to-pole."
onions sliced lengthwise don't get that "wormy" look when sauteed

I simply tossed them into the braising pan with a little sugar, and some sherry vinegar -- which was what I had on hand -- any sort of wine vinegar would do.

 the onions should be soft and slightly browned, but not caramelized

Then shredded short ribs, a little heap of the onions, some arugula, and cheese (I used compte, but any cheese that melts well would do) are piled on buttered bread and grilled.  Mmmm, mmmm, good.

 not diet food, so I only made a half -- very yummy
















No comments:

Post a Comment