Friday, May 28, 2010

you little scamp

Something easy, garlicky, and good for a Friday night:  shrimp scampi.  It cooks literally in the time it takes to boil the noodles, and the prep work before hand takes just a few minutes.  I used five small cloves of garlic, sliced thin on my mandolin, for the starting point.  You can use more or less, depending on your taste.  I use my full sized mandolin, but a little hand held job will do the trick for super thin slicing just as well, for a third the price, or less.  Then there's the quick work of peeling the shrimp, deveining them (or thawing out a dozen or so frozen, uncooked shrimp), chopping up a bit of optional broccoli for color and flavor, mincing a handful of parsley, and assembling a pinch of salt (careful, the shrimp can be salty), teaspoon of pepper, and a teaspoon of red pepper flakes.  Then zest a lemon (I used a meyer lemon) into a measuring cup and squeeze in the juice.  Round that up to about a half a cup with a splash of white wine.  While you are doing that, bring a big pot of water to boil.
an easy mise en place for scampi with broccoli

Throw the pasta in the boiling water.  I like linguine with this dish, but I didn't have any on hand, so tonight I used spaghetti.  Toss about two tablespoons each of butter and olive oil in a pan over medium low heat, when the butter has melted and begins to bubble, toss in the garlic.  Once it starts to sizzle and turn a very pale yellow, throw in the lemon/wine mixture and the spices, and turn the heat up to medium.  
the garlic sauce will start to thicken up in just a couple of minutes

 toss in the shrimp and the broccoli

Cook just until the shrimp are pink and the broccoli is crisp/tender, about five minutes.  Drain the pasta, and put it back in the pot, and add the sauce.  Toss the mixture a bit to combine, and serve with a nice crisp salad, a bit of warm bread if you like (great for sopping up the last of the buttery sauce), and a big fat chardonnay.
sprinkle on the parsley and you are good to go

A beautiful, flavorful meal for a relaxing beginning to the Memorial day weekend.

2 comments:

  1. How funny I should read this AS I'm eating shrimp scampi. Of course mine is not so great because it's late and I got lazy,so I'm just eating the shrimp (no pasta).I wish I'd have read it earlier as it would have inspired me to do the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious and I can almost smell the yummy garlic and butter through the computer. Sounds easy enough for me to try....famous last words.

    ReplyDelete