Saturday, June 26, 2010

feeding a craving

Last night, I had an irresistible urge for some nachos.  An unreasonable urge that wasn't going to take no for an answer.  But I want to prepare a reasonably healthy version that could take on the title of "dinner".  That made me think first of the chips.  I certainly wouldn't classify salty, fatty, bagged tortilla chips as a wise dinner choice.  And I really didn't feel like making my own corn tortillas, as easy as they are.  (Just being lazy I guess.)  That made me think of some unusual tortillas I had spotted at the local grocery.  A sort of hybrid flour/corn tortilla that had a much nicer, softer feel than the usual cardboard-consistency grocery store tortillas.

these new hybrids have a great corn flavor, 
and are made with whole grain

Cut into quarters, and spritzed with a little peanut oil, then baked in a 400 degree oven for about twenty minutes, and these made some crispy, and healthy chips to build into nachos.

I had a couple of jalapenos as well as a banana pepper in the garden, so I sliced those up along with a thinly sliced clove of garlic, and tossed them with some vinegar, salt, a little sugar, and water to make a quick and tasty pickled pepper mix.  Guacamole came together in minutes with a few small diced onions, a diced jalapeno, lime juice, salt, and an avacado.

 a fresh guacamole and a few pickled veggies

Ater letting them sit for a couple of hours.  I took half of them and mashed them in with some drained black beans.  In the freezer, I found a little left over Carne Adovada, so these were going to be pork nachos.  But a little shredded chicken or some hamburger sauted with some onion and chile powder would work just fine, too.  I grated a little cheddar and some pepper jack, and I was ready to assemble.  On each chip, I put about a teaspoon of the black beans, a little chunk of the shredded pork, and a teaspoon of the cheese.

nachos, ready to go under a low broiler

Ten to fifteen minutes under the broiler gave the chips a nice, crunchy texture and melted the cheese to a creamy consistency.  Now, to make it a real meal.  I sliced up some crunchy lettuce, diced tomatoes, and chopped a little cilantro to go on top, along with a little squirt of sour cream.  Served with a tomato salsa (I dress up a jar of Herdez salsa with a little green onion, cilantro, and jalapeno), the guacamole, and the rest of the lightly pickled veggies, it made for a fun dinner with a little bit of a pub vibe, without all the excessive salt and fat.

nachos, with accompaniments, fun,
especially with a cold corona with a squeeze of lime



Some of you may have noticed that I have been MIA for a bit.  Everything is fine -- just got a little distracted by work, but I am back on track now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment