Thursday, December 16, 2010

the dreaded Brussels sprout

My first cooking demo was last Saturday, and it was Brussels sprouts.  When doing an actual cooking demo, the rule is that you have to do the veggie chosen by the produce manager, but you can cook it any way you want.  When I told Jim I was doing Brussels sprouts he felt sorry for me.  And he told me that there was no way to make a Brussels sprout taste good.  The gauntlet was down.  Honeycrisp apples were on sale.  So I decided to make a warm sprout and apple slaw with lemon and walnuts.  At the store, I wanted to keep the dish vegan, so I used walnut oil, but tonight I used butter.  And guess what.  Jim ate them.  Two helpings.  So if you have a Brussels sprout hater in the family, give this recipe a try.

First, I took the zest off of one lemon, I used a Meyer lemon but any lemon will do, and squeezed the juice into the processor bowl.
putting the juice and the zest right into the processor
will keep the apple from turning brown

the apples are shredded on a medium shredding disc here,
but you can cut them into sticks by hand, as well

The brussels sprouts are then shredded on the finest slicing disc, but they are fairly easy to slice fine by hand as well.  I also cut up a shallot into thin strips, then toasted some walnuts in butter and salt, and added in the shallots.
the walnuts and shallots are cooked together in advance,
because they cook longer than the slaw

Once the walnuts are toasted and the shallots are nice and soft, remove them to a dish, melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in the pan, and add in the apples and Brussels sprouts.
the shredded sprouts and apples are sauteed just until 
slightly wilted, and beautiful bright green, about two minutes

Add in the walnuts and shallots, adjust for salt, and serve.  
a fantastic and quick way to serve Brussels sprouts,
served here with crispy chicken and spaetzle with mushrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment