Friday, July 29, 2011

from the humble, the sublime

I made french toast last Sunday, and since there are just two of us, half a loaf of challah bread sat on the counter for several days, taunting me.  Bread pudding was calling out to me.  And I had  caramel sauce in the fridge, which lasts forever once you have made it.  No dessert is more humble and beautiful at the same time as a good bread pudding.  I cubed the bread, heated the oven to 350, and dotted it with a bit of butter.  Ten minutes produced a light toast on the bread.
even with already stale bread, a light toast is in order

Bread pudding is a forgiving dessert--it will accept nearly all comers.   Shredded apples, sliced peaches, minced dried apricots, mangoes, currents, nuts of any kind.  This time I went with traditional.  Raisins plumped in a bit of rum (because I had it.  Bourbon is probably better), and pecans toasted in the oven for about 10 minutes, then chopped.  
The pudding was simple.  Four eggs, about 1 1/2 cups of light cream, a cup of sugar, and a teaspoon each of nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon zest, and salt.  Whisk like you mean it.
getting ready to add a furious minute or two of whisking

The oven goes on at 325.  I added the nuts and raisins to the bread, poured on the pudding mixture, and added it all to a buttered casserole dish.
 
ready for the oven

40 minutes later-- would like to say I read War and Peace
in the interim, but more likely, I watched SuperNanny


What looks like a mess comes out of the oven 40 minutes later ready to do time as an elegant finish to any meal.  I keep the caramel sauce in a squeeze bottle that can warm in the microwave in a minute, ready to decorate a simple serving of delicious bread pudding.  What a great fate for some stale bread, haunting my counter top.
guess I'm not being very humble, but I think any 
New Orleans cook would be proud of this plate

No comments:

Post a Comment