Monday, January 24, 2011

Italian American treat

I am a sucker for a good chicken parm.  Unfortunately, it is all too rare in a sea of Italian American joints that serve flabby, overcooked chicken, swimming in a sea of gloppy cheese and overly sweet sauce.  Ugh.

As I have said before, my tomato sauce has simplified over the years.  All my complicated herb combinations and long list of ingredients has fallen by the wayside in favor of a very simple sauce that pops with tomato flavors and the heady scent of garlic.  Its simple.  Garlic sauteed in a good bit of olive oil, diced tomatoes, salt, and red pepper flakes.  I then give it a short buzz with the immersion blender to smooth it out a bit and give it a creamy texture.
tomato sauce, simple and full of flavor

The chicken is pretty simple, too.  I either buy chicken cutlets, or let out a bit of aggression by pounding chicken breasts thin -- to about a quarter inch.  I cooked some linguine and tossed it with the sauce.  While the noodles were cooking, I doused the meat with buttermilk, then pressed them with a good coating of Panko breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and pepper.
the coated cutlets are simply sauteed in a bit of hot olive oil
they cook for about 4 minutes a side

I am not a fan of flaccid chicken swimming in gooey cheese.  I want my chicken crisp, so I skip the layer of sauce, and sprinkle on a bit of parm.
the cheese will melt on the hot cutlets, but a run under the broiler
will speed up the process

Simply serving the chicken over the sauced noodles makes for a great dish.  A little added parsley brightens up the whole thing.
feeding an Italian American addiction

No comments:

Post a Comment