Sunday, January 30, 2011

side dishes for the American icon

Sometimes we just have to have a big steak.  Well, sometimes Jim just has to have a big steak.  I am happy with three or four ounces of meat, plus a couple of side dishes.  I try to do something green, but I am also fond of potato with steak.  One of my favorite ways to make potato is to do a twice-baked potato.  It is an easy preparation, that can be done in a couple of steps.  When the oven is already on, you can bake a potato and simply store it in the fridge.  Then, when you are ready to make your twice-baked potato, shred a little cheddar cheese.  I prefer a very sharp white cheddar, because it offers up big cheese flavors without the necessity of using much of it.  I also like to add a little horseradish, a bit of dried or fresh shallot, white pepper, and salt.  But the options are nearly limitless.  In the summer, if I have them in the garden, I add some chopped chives.  A touch of nutmeg is nice.  Different varieties of cheese can be a welcome change, such as Gruyere or Parmesan.  Adding a little thyme or chopped parsley can be nice.  As can a crumbled up slice of leftover bacon.   I sometimes use cream for moisture.  Sometimes sour cream or creme fraiche.  Last night, I had buttermilk, which is a lowfat option for making creamy potatoes.
add your chosen aromatics to a bowl, 
then you can simply add the mashed potato and some moisture

One tool I rely on when making potatoes is a ricer.  I love it for the ultra-creamy texture it gives to potatoes.  Just scoop the baked potato out of the shell, and run it through the ricer for very creamy lump-free potatoes.
A ricer makes very creamy and light potatoes

the creamy potato mixture can be spooned into the potato shells or,
for a more dramatic effect piped in with a piping bag

Twenty minutes in a 400 degree oven produces light puffy potatoes with a cheesy bite.
I love the crisp brown bits on the top of the baked potato

There are several things that always have a home in my fridge.  I am never without garlic, onions, mushrooms, sweet red peppers, or lemons.  They last a long time, and they can be pressed into service for everything from vegetable dishes to sauces and soups.  
 kitchen staples garlic, red peppers, and mushrooms pressed into 
service for a broccolini side dish

I had a bunch of broccolini last night, which can be pretty boring just steamed and dumped in a bowl.  So I minced some garlic, slice up some mushrooms and red peppers, and heated a little oil in a pan.  The mushrooms and peppers sauteed for about 10 minutes on fairly high heat, to coax out the moisture and caramalize them a bit.  Then the minced garlic goes in for a quick two minute saute on a bit lower heat to bring out its wonderful fragrance.   Then the broccolini goes in with half a cup of wine, or half a cup of water and the juice of half a lemon, and steams until it is just crisp-tender, and a beautiful bright green.
everything sautes in just a few minutes


mixing up your veggies adds interest and texture to any dish

No comments:

Post a Comment