Monday, March 28, 2011

the unthinkable

We did, well... the unthinkable... last night.  After seeing it on a Mario Batali show, I coated a rib eye with lard (yes, you read that correctly--unadulterated pig fat), rosemary, and loads of garlic, mixed into a paste.  Mario was visiting a NYC eatery with wonderful steaks, and that is what they did.  I must admit, it gave the steak a marvelous crust and the flavor of both the garlic and the rosemary.

To compliment the steak with some Italian flair, I rethought a Tuscan kale dish I posted here earlier.  The one I made with gnocchi made from squash.  This time I made the squash into pasta.
a kobucha squash, roasted for about an hour, made a nice puree

To the puree, I added a teaspoon or so of freshly grated nutmeg, along with a teaspoon of salt, and an egg.  The squash had a lot of moisture, so the puree took quite a bit of flour.  In fact, enough flour to make pasta for four or so meals for two people.
the dough was very supple, and a pretty, subtle shade of yellow

this tray full of cut pasta was made from just a third of the dough --
I froze the other two thirds

Because it took so much flour, the flavor of the squash was subtle, but it was definitely there, making it the perfect foil for a saute of Tuscan kale, mushrooms, onions,and fresh sage.  I first sauteed the mushrooms and onions in a little olive oil, salt and pepper, then added the kale, 1/2 a cup each of chicken broth and white wine, and cooked it until it just wilted.
I had a fresh sweet onion on hand--look for fresh onion in the spring;
they have a subtle flavor and are very tender


Tuscan kale is my favorite--it cooks in just minutes and has a nutty, not too bitter flavor

The light sauce and tender greens made for an interesting pairing with the crusty steak.  Be sure and try adding sage to greens some time.  Not too much, as it is a strong herb, but the flavor pairing just sings.  
to make up for my sins with the pig fat, I served a modest 
4 ounce portion of well-rested meat


Okay, so here's the kicker.  I will do the lard coating again.  It really did make a nice crust on the meat, and most of it finished its life in the bottom of the grill pan.  I can get fresh local lard from Whole Foods, it is actually lower in saturated fat than butter, and I use it seldom and sparingly.  All self-justification, I know, but the pleasure of a well prepared meal trumps portion size for me every time.  Maybe, to add some smoke flavor to the party, I'll try rendered bacon fat next time...


1 comment:

  1. Lard? LARD? Well I guess the meat would have to rest after rolling around in unadulterated pig fat. But hey, lard makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete