Wednesday, May 18, 2011

thank heaven for grilling season

shrimp.  What could be easier?  And on the grill besides, so clean-up is a snap.  I like to marinate my shrimp for a flavor boost.  Last night, I went with garlic, Fresno peppers, lime, cilantro, and a bit of peanut oil.
as usual, I added the lime zest as well as the juice

Shrimp need only a few minutes to marinate, so I chucked all the stuff in the bowl, lit the grill, and started the rice.  I have blogged before about the convenience of boiling rice the same way you boil pasta.  It really is fool-proof (and I can be a fool).  While the basmati rice boiled, I heated about a quarter cup of coconut milk over medium-high heat, and sauteed some shallots and another fresno chile in the warm coconut milk, which is really primarily oil.  When they were soft, I added a cup or so of peas, salt and pepper.  Then I stirred in the cooked rice, and headed out to the grill with the shrimp.

flavorful rice basics

a grill basket makes grilling shrimp a lazy person's chore

The shrimp take just about 4 minutes per side.  On top of the coconut rice, they made a satisfying meal, with minimal clean-up.
pretty much a one-pot wonder

No comments:

Post a Comment