Tuesday, May 24, 2011

unraveling a Thai dish

Jim and I rarely go out to eat, since I love to cook, but when we do, we usually opt for Thai food.  I don't cook a lot of Thai, because it can be complicated, and we have an excellent Thai restaurant close by.  But I will admit, it is one of my favorite cuisines.  The other night I tried a new dish at the restaurant.  It was so good, I couldn't resist trying to replicate it.  The fun part was the research.  In the course of trying to find out about the bones of the dish, I discovered that Thai cuisine sometimes uses five spice powder, which explains the subtle spice I tasted on the chicken, including a faint hint of clove, which had thrown me off a bit when first tasting the dish.  I had never tasted clove in a Thai dish before.  Speaking of five spice, I have mentioned before the astounding recipe from China Moon that is actually a ten-spice concoction.  Well worth making.  I finally ordered Szechwan peppercorns from Penzeys, so I could make it properly.  

So, this dish -- it was a chicken dish with small pieces of chicken, fried, with an ethereally light crust and a hint of warm spice.  The veggies were lightly steamed, and it all sat in a pool of a sweet/sour/spicy sauce.  My first search was for the sauce.  I finally settled on a recipe I found on the net that included fresh red chiles, which I happened to have on hand.  It's a simple sauce, including garlic, chiles, sugar, vinegar, water, and salt.  It is thickened in the end with a bit of cornstarch.
the sauce has a gorgeous color and a nice consistency

The next step was the veggies.  I happened to have beautiful little zucchinis in the garden, an onion, a leek, carrots, and bell peppers on hand.  I had to go to the store for chicken, so I grabbed a little broccoli and snow peas as well.
lovely little zucs and a handful of cilantro from the garden,
which is going berserk 

Then, I marinated the thin strips of chicken in a little oyster sauce, some fish sauce, a clove of garlic, a little five spice powder, and the chopped cilantro.  I only marinated it for about an hour.  During that time, I sliced the veggies thin on a mandoline, steamed them to crisp/tender, and shocked them in an ice bath.
so beautiful


the shock, after the brief steam

Now, for the chicken.  I mixed about 3/4 cup of corn starch, 1 cup of rice flour, and a tablespoon of five spice powder together, and dredged the marinated chicken in that.  In about 1/2 inch very hot oil, I fried the strips in batches until they were crisp and golden brown.  The corn starch and rice flour mixture resulted in a very thin and beautifully crunchy crust with a wonderfully spiced flavor.
the chicken was crispy, without a hint of greasiness

Now, all to do was combine everything.  I reheated the veggies in a cup or so of the sauce, tossed in the chicken, and served everything over rice.  It was divine.  Crisp veggies, spiced chicken, and spicy/sweet/hot sauce.  It wasn't an exact duplicate of the dish I had at the Thai restuarant, but it was close, and absolutely delicious.  Well worth the effort.
a very delicious dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment