Friday, December 16, 2011

viva pepperoni!

I am a big fan of Top Chef, which may be a "duh" sort of statement, since I am obsessed with cooking, and that is the best cooking show on TV.  I was thinking about something new to cook for dinner the other day, and an episode from last season popped into my head.  Mike Isabella had made a sauce with pepperoni that had everyone excited.  I thought I would give it a go, adding shredded chicken and serving it over pasta.

For two people, I sweated about three ounces of pepperoni in a skillet over low heat, just until it gave up its fat and began to crisp.  Then I added some sliced mushrooms, red pepper flakes, sliced garlic, and a bit of salt, cooking them until they were fragrant.
the pepperoni didn't give off a lot of fat, so I just
used what was in the pan to saute the mushrooms and garlic--
if there had been more fat, I would have drained off 
all but a teaspoon or so


Into that fragrant concoction, I added a 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes, breaking them up a bit with a fork, thinning them with a bit of chicken broth, and bringing them up to a simmer.  It was a great medium for poaching a chicken breast.  I added the breast whole, to make sure it cooked gently, and didn't dry out; turning it a few times as it cooked, which took about 20 minutes.
white chicken meat is very lean and dries out quickly--
it should be cooked with gentle heat, just until done

After the chicken breast was cooked through, I pulled it out, shredded it with a couple of forks, and tossed it back in the sauce, simmering everything for a few minutes to combine the flavors while my pasta finished cooking.  
This is a hearty sauce, perfect for a satisfying winter meal,
relatively low in fat, and high in lipocenes from the tomatoes

adding the barely al-dente pasta to the sauce to finish cooking it
will combine the flavors and help the sauce cling to the pasta

Adding a bit of Parmesan and chopped parsley to the dish brightens everything up, and adds a fresh dimension of flavor.
the end result--another one of my favorite outcomes--
a full meal from one pan (okay, two--one for sauce, one for pasta)

I've come to realize that I tend to sprinkle fresh herbs on many of my finished dishes.  Usually parsley, basil, or cilantro; sometimes chives or chopped sage, maybe some fennel fronds or even celery leaves.   The finishing herb dusting has become a bit of a no-no in high-end chef circles, but I am not a chef, high-end or any other sort.  I like the brightness fresh herbs bring to the dish, in both color and flavor.  They add some nutritional value, and make food look more appealing.  My rules are to not get too carried away, and to make sure the herb compliments the food underneath it.  So I am going to continue to sprinkle away, whether Gordon Ramsey wants me to or not...



No comments:

Post a Comment