Thursday, December 22, 2011

the boring chicken breast

There may be no edible canvas more blank than the boneless, skinless chicken breast.  Presented naked, it is a dieter's purgatory, big on pious self-deprivation and void of succulence and inspiration.  It is very easy to overcook, becoming somehow simultaneously like sawdust and rubber.

Which is why I am so attracted to it.  I consider it the gauntlet that has been thrown down before those who think themselves reasonably good cooks.  I long to make it taste good, exude juice and succulence, and attract the appetite of the most persnickety eaters. (Of course, that last bit won't happen, because I have not gone gluten-salt-fat-yeast-soy-dairy-wheat-meat-allium free.)  I have cooked chicken breast sous vide, simmered it, and stir fried it.  I have sauteed it, baked it, and fried it. I've beaten it with a mallet, stuffed it, smothered it, and drowned it in a brine.  So yesterday, I decided to go a little retro on it, and make a chicken cordon bleu.  The things I like about stuffing chicken breast with a filling are the flavor the filling brings to the meat, and the pretty presentation that results. 
slicing open the breasts like a book and pounding them thin isn't an exact science--
the tears and irregularities will disappear with cooking


Cordon bleu consists of layering thin chicken breasts with ham--in this case I used prosciutto-- and some sort of swiss cheese.  I had a bit of Gruyere and some baby swiss on hand, so I used that.  Spreading the chicken first with a bit of dijon mustard adds some additional flavor.
oops, I forgot the mustard, which I realized when I prepared to bread the rolls,
so I added the mustard to the beaten egg wash used to coat the rolls

A great hint for holding rolled chicken breast together is to roll them in plastic wrap, twist the ends tightly to create a cylinder, and place them in the freezer for about 30 minutes to set up.  No toothpicks required.
plastic wrap helps to make uniform rolls

breading setup--flour, seasoned with salt and pepper,
beaten egg, and panko breadcrumbs mixed with a bit of melted butter,
thyme, salt, and pepper


the stint in the freezer makes breading very easy

I like to cook chicken breasts at fairly low temperatures, in this case 325, which doesn't do much for browning, so I browned the rolls off in a lightly oiled skillet prior to baking them in the oven.  An alternative would be a short run under the broiler to brown the tops.
about a minute a side over medium heat browned things up nicely
in my beloved mineral pan

about 30 minutes in the oven produced lovely, well-cooked chicken--
though a little cheese oozed, it didn't affect the final dish


cordon bleu, served here with a little chicken jus, and 
green beans with mushrooms and garlic

I made the jus with a bit of chicken demi-glace, white wine, a little water, and a bit of agar agar to thicken it slightly and give it a silky body (salt and pepper, as well, of course).  Both the demi-glace and the agar agar are a couple of my favorite shortcut ingredients that I always have on hand.  

This old-school dish was delicious, moist, and tasty.

2 comments:

  1. That looks good, Great job on the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this recipe last night for company and everyone loved it. They all agreed they'd never had such a tender chicken breast. It was moist and delicious - just as advertised - and goobled up in no time! The trick about wrapping the rolled breasts in plastic wrap and sticking them in the freezer for thirty minutes worked like a charm. I can see using that technique with other chicken breast preparations. Thanks, Curious, for put a fresh twist on a classic dish!

    ReplyDelete