Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I love this soup


Pho.  It's my favorite soup.  The flavors are clean and enticing, it comes together in minutes, it is low in calories, high in interest, and satisfying any time of the year.  I like mine the best with beef, but chicken or shrimp are also excellent.  I haven't tried a vegetarian version, but I have no doubt it would be excellent.  Just for the record, there's no way my version is authentic, and I don't care.  It's tasty, easy to prepare, and gorgeous to look at.   My first experience with this soup was in a Lubbock, Texas defunct doughnut shop that an immigrant couple had converted into a Thai eatery.  The soup was delicious, cheap, and addictive.

It starts with beef broth that is infused with aromatics.  Here I used cinnamon sticks, Szechuan peppercorns, star anise, and galangal root, which is a spicier cousin of ginger.
infusing the broth with warm spices takes about fifteen minutes

This is an ideal soup for a busy weeknight.  While the broth infuses with the aromatics, the veggies can be prepped.  I use broccolini, green onion, bean sprouts, and hot red pepper along with very thin slices of beef.
that's cilantro in the far right corner--it goes in at the last minute

So, the drill is soak the rice noodles (oops, forgot to take a pic) in hot water while the broth is steeping with the aromatics.  Slice the veggies and meat, drain the aromatics out of the broth, and put the green onion, hot pepper, and brocollini in the pot.
once the brocollini turns bright green, add the soaked noodles,
the beef, and a drizzle of sesame oil if you have it
Everything will be cooked in about five minutes.  Season for taste with salt, and add the bean sprouts and cilantro.  Ladle everything into big bowls.  I like to garnish with chopped peanuts for flavor and crunch, which is certainly not traditional.  The upshot--a delicious soup in under 30 minutes.
yum--I love this soup

No comments:

Post a Comment