Wednesday, April 6, 2011

citrus, citrus, and more citrus

My favorite part of any citrus fruit is the zest.  There is so much fragrance and flavor in the zest, while the flesh of the fruit is mainly acid.  Acid is very useful for brightening a dish, but the zest is a different story.  It contains the essence of the fruit.  One of my favorite ways to use citrus is in salads.  Yesterday, I made a chicken salad with the bright addition of lemon zest and juice.  Microplane graters are the bomb for removing citrus zest.  If you don't have one (or two, or three) get one.
some typical graters -- my favorite is the long skinny one

I made a chicken salad.  The chicken was already vacuum-packed for the freezer, so I cooked it sous vide, at 165 degrees.  It came out of the pot very tender.
simple, and oh so good

Into the chicken went diced celery, minced shallot, the zest and juice of one lemon, toasted almonds, a bit of  light mayo, and salt and pepper.  Oh yes, and a handfull of minced fresh dill.  A simple, and very delicious, chicken salad.
 a very happy thing to have in the fridge

 sandwich art can be very simple

No comments:

Post a Comment