Friday, April 22, 2011

the curse of leftover ham

Easter is fast approaching, and with it comes the inevitable curse of leftover ham.  That is, if you are a traditionalist, and serve ham for dinner.  I am, and I bought the smallest ham I could find at WF, which weighs in at just under ten pounds.  With just Jim, my mom, and me that is A LOT of ham.  I don't know about you, but I can eat only so many ham sandwiches.  So last night, I sliced off a bit of the ham in anticipation, and made a hash.

Hash is a great way to use leftovers, and a good way to get a variety of vegetables into your diet.
for my hash, I used hot red pepper, leek, sweet bell pepper,
and fresh Vidalia onion

I started the veggies along with diced ham, in a couple of tablespoons of peanut oil shimmering over a medium burner. I was cooking them in a new 14-inch cast iron French pan.  Yes, I loved the 10-inch one so much, that I bought a larger version.  The pic on Amazon doesn't show it, but the 14-inch titan has a very nice "helper" handle on the side opposite the main handle.  It is a monster, and it is gorgeous.  With cast iron, you really never need to go much over a medium heat.  Once the veggies and ham had started to brown, I added a couple of cups of shredded potatoes and started heating some water, with a couple of teaspoons of salt and a couple of tablespoons of vinegar.  The vinegar help poached eggs to stay together in nice, tight little orbs.  It also helps if you have very fresh eggs.   I brought the water just up to a slow simmer.
poaching eggs is a really easy and healthy way to cook the wonder orbs

Poached eggs are done in about 4 minutes, but you can hold them for a long time in cool water, then just drop them into simmering water for a minute to heat them up.  They are done when the white is completely cooked, and the yolk is still soft to the touch.

I added salt and pepper to the hash,then spooned a cup of the hash in the center of the plate, and added a poached egg.  I added a bit of salt and pepper to the egg, garnished with a bit of chopped parsley, and dinner was served.
a pretty, simple way to use leftover Easter ham
the new pan in action -- I decommissioned several old pans when this baby arrived

No comments:

Post a Comment