Friday, April 1, 2011

eggplant revisited

Jim really likes eggplant Parmesan.  I really hate making it because it makes such a mess.  The eggplant has to be battered with flour and egg, then breaded with some sort of crumb.  Then they have to be fried.  A sauce has to be made, then the whole thing layered up and baked.  I have to admit that it is tasty, and the kitchen can be cleaned up while it bakes, but I am not motivated to make it very often.

So I decided to try and reign in the multiple steps a little, at least for mess.  This time I did have motivation.  I had a refrigerator full of odds and ends vegetables, half a jar of spaghetti sauce, half a ball of fresh mozzarella, and an eggplant.  I decided to try breading and baking the eggplant instead of frying.  Still a process that created some mess, but the dishes for the breading could go in the dishwasher, and the top of the stove wouldn't be an oily mess.  I skipped the initial dip in flour, which helps the crust adhere during frying, and simply coated the eggplant in egg with a little milk and pressed it into seasoned panko breadcrumbs.
I seasoned the panko with salt, pepper, and fresh oregano;
the oregano in my garden is growing like crazy

I sprayed the crumbed eggplant with a spritz of olive oil (easier and more even than drizzling, so I keep a spray bottle of olive oil on hand).  
it baked up brown and crisp -- success without the mess

Yes, I had a jar of pasta sauce in my fridge.  I usually make my own sauce, but this stuff is good, and I was trying to win a sales contest at work, so I bought two jars myself.  I had a leek, shallots, red sweet peppers, and mushrooms, so I really boosted the vegetation in the meal by sauteing the veggies along with some garlic, then simmering them in the sauce .
pasta sauce is a great place to boost the vegetable content of any meal

From there, it was just a matter of layering the cooked eggplant, fresh mozzarella, and sauce, and baking it for 20 minutes or so while I tidied up the kitchen--a much easier task now that the frying stage was out of the picture.
all layered up, with a final grate of a little parm

20 minutes in the oven produced a vegetarian feast and a tidy kitchen

I couldn't tell a bit of difference between the fried eggplant and the baked version, so this will be my "go to" recipe down the road.  Good thing, because we will be growing eggplant in the garden this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment