Friday, November 25, 2011

leftover extravaganza begins

I had turkey, turkey carcass, veggies (both cooked and uncooked), stuffing, and heaven knows what else filling my fridge, so I needed a leftover meal for tonight's dinner.  I love chicken and dumplings.  I love stuffing.  I thought I had a brilliant idea.  What if I could turn leftover stuffing into dumplings and make a turkey and dumpling soup?  So, I did a quick search on Foodtv.  And sure enough, someone had already done that very thing.  I found a recipe for turkey and stuffing dumpling soup.  The recipe was intriguing, but since I am hard-wired to be incapable of following any recipe, I made a few changes.  I used only fresh veggies (didn't want to muddy up the soup with cooked veggies), added a couple of healthy dollops of leftover mashed potatoes to make the soup more like a creamy stew, and added baking powder to the dumplings to make them puff up a little lighter than they would be with just the addition of egg and flour.

I started out with the turkey carcass last night, simmering it in plain water for a couple of hours, then chilling it in the fridge overnight.  Plucked the meat off of the bones, strained the broth, and reduced it on  the stove without the meat to intensify the broth flavor, and avoid overcooking the meat.

Then I added some carrots cut in batons, and sliced onions, cooking them just until they were barely tender, about 20 minutes.  I added a couple of big spoonfuls of mashed potatoes to thicken the soup and add some richness.
reduced broth with mashed potatoes, carrots and onions cooked just until tender

Next in the pool:  diced celery, chives, fresh thyme, and the turkey--all left over from the big day.  No trips to the store, or the garden.
the celery, turkey, and herbs will heat up in the time it takes to bring 
everything back to a simmer, then in go the dumplings

The dumplings whipped up in the food processor in a few seconds.  For a small pot of soup, I used a cup or so of leftover stuffing, an egg, a small dollop of light cream, a teaspoon of baking powder, and about a quarter cup of flour.  My stuffing was bread-based, but I can't imagine why this wouldn't work with a cornbread stuffing.

The dumplings got rolled into balls the size of the ping-pong variety, and dropped into the soup.  After a few minutes, I flipped them over to cook the other side.  They plumped up nicely, were tender and light, and the veggies in the soup still had a bit of al dente bite to them.  It was a light, flavorful version of the overblown feast from the day before.
I even recycled the dining room flowers to the kitchen table,
and the soup got a bright addition of fresh parsley

turkey dumpling soup comes in for its closeup 

No comments:

Post a Comment