Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving for 3

This year, Thanksgiving at my house was for Jim, my mom, and me.  It is actually a little daunting to figure out how to prepare a feast for three, without having a mind-boggling pile of leftovers.  GE was giving their employees free turkeys, so there was no paring down there.  We ended up with a 12 pound bird.  In the past, I have suggested cooking a small breast and a leg, but Jim wants to see that whole beast in all its glory, so whole bird it was.  Can't argue with free, anyway.

We have a rotisserie for the grill, and the weather this week was calm and warm, so I decided to do the bird on the grill, just to see how it would turn out.  That meant no drippings for the gravy.  In anticipation of that, I bought a couple of turkey wings and a few chicken drumsticks to make a turkey stock.  I roasted those off on Monday, to make a nice brown stock, complete with roasting-pan drippings.  I made the stock in the pressure cooker, from the meat and bones, an onion, celery, parsley, thyme, and a few whole spices.  The resulting stock was easy to turn into a mushroom gravy that was every bit as good as gravy made from pan drippings, and actually a lot less work.
make-ahead turkey stock made a rich mushroom gravy, and easy clean-up--
no drippings to de-fat, no roasting pan to clean

I'm hacked off at myself for not taking a picture of the bird on its spit, but the end result was a very moist and flavorful bird that required no basting or fussing with.  I put herb butter under the skin, tied  it up to keep anything from flopping around, skewered it, and let the motor do the work.
the bird cooked on the rotisserie was golden brown all over--
I will certainly use that method again

for a veggie, I made my version of green bean casserole.  I made a creamy mushroom soup with a roux, half and half, mushrooms, lemon zest, and a bit of nutmeg, salt, and pepper.  I sliced up some shallots, dusted the rings in cornstarch, and fried them in a few batches in a little pan I have, which meant using less oil, and making less mess.
little frizzled shallot rings--so much better than the canned stuff

my version of green bean casserole--easy to make and
not a can in sight

I made the apple and sage dressing, and the cranberry relish that I love a couple of days ahead, so all I had to do was bake the dressing, and get everything out on the table.  This year I managed to be so prepared that I felt a bit cheated out of my usual turkey day cooking marathon.  All I really needed to do after the turkey was on the grill was make the mashed potatoes and green beans, and dish everything up.
dinner for three--including sliced, canned cranberry jelly,
because both my mom and Jim insist
oops, nearly forgot the black raspberry tart--
I love the rustic look of the free form crust

We still have a pile of leftovers, but nothing out of control.  So tonight I am going to make a turkey stew with dumplings made from leftover stuffing.  I think it should be tasty.  Stay tuned for the leftovers marathon.





No comments:

Post a Comment