Wednesday, November 30, 2011

savory, crunchy holiday treat

During the holidays, when we go to parties or dinners, I like to take along a little home made treat.  But cookies and candy seem problematic to me.  For one thing, everyone usually has an abundance of those already, prefer their own family favorites, and they take a lot of time and labor.  For the past couple of years, I have made spiced pecans, which are smoky-sweet and delicious, but good quality nuts can get expensive.

Yesterday, it occurred to me that there is a little trend going on in the celebrity chef world that I pay so much attention to.  Popcorn with exotic savory flavors, either used as a garnish on a plate, or served as an appetizer.  So I set out to develop a warmly spiced, slightly hot, slightly sweet popcorn that would last a couple of weeks if sealed up, and make a nice gift in a little holiday tin.

I thought that microwave popcorn would make prep super-easy.  The hardest part was finding microwave popcorn that didn't have fake butter flavors, or kettle-corn flavors, or cheese flavors already added in.  I finally did find a brand without added flavors, but I couldn't find any that didn't have added salt.  For that, I was going to have to pop corn the old fashioned way.  I settled on the plain salted popcorn, and omited added salt in my coating.

For 1--3.5 ounce bag of popcorn, I melted 4 tablespoons of butter, added 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of curry powder, a teaspoon of chili powder, about a half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and few twists of fresh ground pepper.
I cooked the spices, sugar, and butter over medium heat,
until the sugar melted and began to bubble


Once the sugar was melted, I added two teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce, and about a tablespoon of very finely chopped fresh rosemary.  Don't even think about using dried--it will not taste the same, and very likely burn.
fresh rosemary leaves are stiff, and very easy to chop fine

I spread the popped corn out on a silpat in a sheet pan, picked out the kernels that didn't pop, and drizzled the spice mixture over the popcorn, stirring to get everything well coated--don't use your hands to stir unless they are made of asbestos since melted sugar is roughly the same temperature as molten lava.  That went into a 250 degree oven for 20 minutes to dry.
 stirring a couple of times while the popcorn is in the oven
will help distribute the flavor through the popcorn

this stuff was yummy, spicy-sweet, with just a touch of heat--
addictive



No comments:

Post a Comment