Friday, March 5, 2010

corn tortillas redux (redux)

best corn tortillas yet, today. I bought a can of white hominy, and ground that through the small hole disk of a food mill, along with 1 1/2 cups thawed, frozen yellow and white corn. Didn't drain the water or anything.  That resulted in a very wet, sloppy masa-like dough. I used about 2 cups of masa harina to bring it to the proper consistency. Rested that for an hour, then pressed the tortillas and cooked them. They puffed perfectly, were very tender and pliable, and tasted of corn. I think this will be my method of choice. I think I may be on the path to good corn tortillas for people who don't have access to fresh masa.  The poor sig will be eating corn tortillas for a while while I work on this..

 
Hominy and thawed frozen corn passed through a food mill.  I added masa harina to this for a tortilla dough 

  
Tortillas puffing on the griddle


Made cubed pork butt braised in lime juice, orange juice, chicken broth, chiles, cumin, and garlic, then shredded for tacos, a good guac, and a vinegar based slaw of cabbage carrots, onions, and cilantro for toppings.  Good meal.

 
tortillas ready for filling

1 comment:

  1. CC I really like that Corn Tortilla Idea alot, That is a great idea.......

    ReplyDelete