Friday, March 5, 2010

getting the "corn" into corn tortillas

After many discussions with online friends about corn tortillas, and the superiority of those made with fresh masa, instead of masa harina, I decided to try a little experiment, since I cannot find fresh masa here in Greenville.  I wanted more corn flavor from my masa harina tortillas.

So I thawed about 2 cups of frozen Silver Queen white corn, and put that through the small hole disk of a food mill.  After much milling, that yielded about 1 cup of a loose paste of corn liquid, without the skins.  it was about the consistency of a loose custard, very sweet, and had a strong corn flavor.  Because of the strong sugar element, I added a teaspoon of salt for balance.  To that I added a cup of masa harina, and slowly mixed in warm water until I got the proper consistency for tortillas.  After a 20 minute rest, I pressed and grilled them on the griddle.

Success!  They puffed beautifully, are wonderfully tender, and taste of corn, though they are a bit too sweet.  I will try this experiment again with a corn variety that has less sugar than the Silver Queen, and report back.  I also intend to try the same sort of experiment with milled canned hominy, which is from the same corn variety used to make authentic corn tortillas.

Authentic?  No.  Better than tortillas made with straight masa harina?  A definite Yes.  I will take some pictures for the next test batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment