Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The incredible, edible hamburger

Watching Tony Bourdain munch some very yummy looking burgers has put me in the mood for a good hamburger.  And of course, since I have the meat grinding attachment for my Kitchen Aid, I decided to grind my own cow.  Don't think it will be cheaper than buying hamburger, but I'm betting it will be better.

After a little internet research, I determined that sirloin, chuck and short ribs would be a  good first try at good balance between beefiness, fat, and tenderness.  I couldn't find boneless short ribs, so I bought bone-in ones.  It really wasn't hard at all to remove the meat from the bones in short order, and toss the bones into my freezer stock trimmings bag.

t
 trimming the short ribs

Next, I cut all of the meat into 1 inch strips, and popped it on a cutting board in the freezer.  Meat is much easier to grind if it is partially frozen. A couple of hours will do the trick.

Chuck, sirloin, and short ribs for hamburger.

It is best to grind the meat on the larger disc, then run it back through the smaller disk to be sure the meat is nice and tender, and the fat is well distributed.  I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper before grinding, and even added a couple of tablespoons of cold butter as I ground, for a little extra richness in the meat. (Ever been served a steak with a little disc of compound butter melting on top?  Beef and butter are natural partners.)

  the second grind

And of course, what is a burger without fries?  The food processor makes short work of a couple of baking potatoes, and cuts the fries thin enough that it is not necessary to cook them twice to get a crispy fry with a tender center.  Soaking them in the fridge for a couple of hours will help wash away some of the excess starch and increase crispiness as well.

potatoes soaking in cold water

Some caramelized onions, a few slices of comte cheese (similar to gruyere), grainy mustard/mayo spread, and lettuce and tomato perfectly complement a good medium rare burger.  And let's not forget, a nicely toasted bun.


success!

No comments:

Post a Comment