Friday, March 26, 2010

another "door knock dinner"

Things have been hectic lately, and I find myself scrambling for dinner on many evenings. So the other night, I pulled together another "door knock dinner" where everything had to come from ingredients available on hand.  This time things came together with an Indian theme.  I love basmati rice, but its tendency toward stickiness is a pain, and to cook it traditionally usually requires prolonged soaking and rinsing.

Not so, if you use the pasta method.  In other words, rice in a nice big pot of boiling water.  It is a foolproof method for cooking tender rice with separate grains.

  As you can see, the excess starch rises to the surface,
out of harm's way.  Simply lift a few grains
on a fork , to taste for doneness.

 perfectly cooked rice in about 15 minutes

I had mushrooms, onion, garlic, red bell peppers, frozen shrimp, and half a can of coconut milk on hand for the main dish.  I also had some cilantro for seasoning and green, and some red curry paste.  I sauteed the chopped onion, some garlic, mushrooms, the peppers, and the curry paste in a bit of peanut oil.  Then I added the coconut milk, and simmered it all to crisp/tender.  Tossed in the shrimp, and cooked for about 5 minutes, until they were just barely cooked through.

A quick saute

shrimp curry, served over rice, 
and garnished with fresh cilantro

It was a healthy, tasty meal in under 30 minutes.  A weeknight triumph.  (Coconut milk hint:  if you use less than a full can, as I do, with just two to feed, the other half will freeze perfectly in a freezer bag.)

No comments:

Post a Comment